The HenterLaw firm believes deeply in helping businesses and employees comply with the complex immigration laws of the United States. We enjoy helping talented individuals, businesses executives, entrepreneurs, and investors who have decided to work, start, or grow a business, and explore other employment-related immigration options in this country. We also represent businesses and other entities that employ or wish to employ foreign workers on either a temporary or permanent basis, and assist with obtaining labor certification and the necessary visas.

Below, please find a summary of the most common types of immigration options available to businesses, individuals, and students. We are happy to assist with processing visas in any and all of these ways.

After you review our website, if you have an immigration problem or question, are wondering whether you need to retain an immigration lawyer, or would like a description of how we may able to help you (including any discussion of likely legal fees), please contact us here and we will happily respond to your inquiry as soon as we are able.

Employment-Related Immigration (Green Cards Through Employment)

EB-1 Foreign Nationals of Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding Professors and Researchers, and Multinational Executives and Managers. Individuals who qualify for this category can petition for permanent residency without having to go through the more expensive and time-consuming labor certification process.

EB-2 Workers with Advanced Degrees or Exceptional Ability in the Sciences, Arts, or Business. Individuals who qualify for this category normally must have a job offer and the potential employer must complete the labor certification process (a test of the local job market to demonstrate that the potential visa holder is not taking a job away from a worker already lawfully in the U.S.). In special cases, if an individual can show that his entry is in the interest of the U.S., a waiver of the job offer and labor certification requirements can be obtained.

EB-3 Skilled Workers and Professionals. Individuals who qualify for this category normally must have a job offer and the potential employer must complete the labor certification process.

EB-4 Special Immigrant Visas for Religious Workers. Individuals who qualify for this category are eligible for permanent residency.

EB-5 Investor Visas. 10,000 permanent residency visas are available each year for investors who start a new business that employs at least ten individuals. If one invests in a rural area designated as a targeted employment area, a minimum investment of US $500,000 is required (anywhere else, the minimum is US $1,000,000).

Employment-based Nonimmigrant Visas (Temporary Worker Visas)

E-1 and E-2 Treaty Trader and Investor Visas. Investors and traders and their employees may receive visas to carry on their businesses in the U.S. if their home country has a commercial treaty with the U.S. granting eligibility for this visa.

H-1B Specialty Occupation Visas. A very common temporary visa available to professionals with at least a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent work experience).

L-1 Intra-company Transfer Visas are available to executives, managers, and specialized-knowledge employees transferring from their employer’s office in another country to a U.S. affiliate, parent, or subsidiary. Executives and managers holding L-1 visas may be eligible for permanent residency without the need for labor certification.

O-1 Extraordinary Ability Worker Visas are available to individuals with extraordinary ability in entertainment, business, athletics, and science.

P-1 Artists and Athletes Visas are available to athletes, artists, and entertainers.

R-1 Religious Worker Visas are available to certain religious workers.

TN Status allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to enter the U.S. to work under the provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

Education-Related Temporary or Nonimmigrant Visas

F-1 Student Visas are available to qualified students pursuing non-vocational, academic programs at a college or university. Absent permission from the school and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the student must be enrolled full-time. An F-1 student may work pursuant to curricular practical training (CPT) during the time enrolled. In addition, an F-1 student may also obtain optional practical training (OPT) while in school or after graduation for up to one year.

J-1 (and Q-1) Exchange Visitor Visas are available to individuals in a qualified exchange program. These programs often apply to students, research scholars, business trainees, teachers, professors, specialists, international visitors, camp counselors, and au pairs. In some cases, participation in a J-1 program will be coupled with a requirement that the recipient spend at least 2 years outside of the U.S. before being permitted to switch to a different nonimmigrant visa or to permanent residency. With our complementary practice in education law, we represent individuals who wish to seek a waiver of this 2-year requirement.

M-1 Vocational Student Visas are available to individuals seeking to study at post-secondary vocational/business schools.

Other Temporary or Nonimmigrant Visas

  • A Diplomatic Visas
  • B-1/B-2 Visitor’s Visas
  • C Transit Visas
  • D Crewmen’s Visa
  • G Visas are for representatives of foreign governments and international organizations and their employees and family members
  • I-1 Journalist/Media Visas are available to members of the foreign press or the media seeking to enter the U.S. solely non-commercial purposes
  • N Visas are available to parents and children of certain G visa holders and NATO employees accorded special immigrant status under 8 U.S.C. § 101(a)(27)(I) or (L).
  • S Visas are available to individuals who helped a U.S. or state criminal investigation or prosecution
  • T Visas are available to people who have been subjected to severe trafficking in people (such as being subjected to force, fraud, or coercion for sex trafficking, involuntary servitude, slavery, debt bondage, etc.).
  • U Visas are available to individuals who have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of certain crimes.

© 2014 HenterLaw PLC. Charles Henter is the responsible attorney for this website.

415 Park Street, Second Floor
Charlottesville, VA 22902
(434) 817-1840
Contact Us