The HenterLaw firm believes deeply in representing immigrants and nonimmigrants as a way of making the United States stronger, better, and more competitive. We enjoy helping anyone on his or her way to U.S. citizenship.

We believe there are too many sources of misinformation about the basics of immigration law. Below, please find a summary of the most common immigration options available to individuals and their families who:

  • want to become permanent residents (obtain “green cards”),
  • want to obtain temporary or nonimmigrant visas;
  • may be facing deportation, removal, or some other severe action, and
  • have other immigration concerns.

After you review our website, if you have an immigration problem or question, are wondering whether you need to retain an immigration lawyer, or would like a description of how we may able to help you (including any discussion of likely legal fees), please contact us here and we will happily respond to your inquiry as soon as we are able.

Permanent Residency Visas (Green Cards)

Family-Sponsored Immigration: U.S. citizens may petition for spouses, parents, children, brothers, and sisters to become permanent residents. Current permanent residents (green card holders) may petition for spouses and children to join them as permanent residents. Below find a brief summary of the preferences U.S. immigration gives to family-sponsored immigrants:

  • Immediate Relative: Spouses, parents (child citizen must be 21 years of age or older) and children of U.S. citizens,
  • FB-1 First Preference: Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens,
  • FB-2 Second Preference: Spouses and unmarried children and sons and daughters of permanent residents,
  • FB-3 Third Preference: married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and
  • FB-4 Fourth Preference: brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.

Diversity Immigrant Visa Program or DV Lottery Visa is an annual program run by the U.S. Department of State.

Temporary or Nonimmigrant Visas for Family Members

K-1 Visas (fiancée visas). The fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen is eligible for a nonimmigrant visa as long as an official marriage takes place within 90 days of entering the U.S. Dependents of someone who has a K-1 visa may enter the U.S. with a K-2 Visa.

K-3 Visas. The spouse of a U.S. citizen is allowed to enter the U.S. on this visa if the U.S. citizen has petitioned immigration authorities to grant a permanent residency visa (green card) to his or her spouse, provided the petition has not been approved and forwarded to the U.S. consulate in the spouse’s home country at the time of the K-3 interview. Dependents of someone who has a K-3 visa may enter the U.S. with a K-4 visa.

V Visa. A spouse or child of a lawful permanent resident can obtain a V visa if a permanent resident filed a petition for the spouse or child before December 21, 2000, and the petition has been pending for more than three years.

Other Temporary or Nonimmigrant Visas

  • A Diplomatic Visas
  • B-1/B-2 Visitor’s Visas
  • C Transit Visas
  • D Crewmen’s Visa
  • F Student Visas: please visit out employment immigration page
  • G Visas are for representatives of foreign governments and international organizations and their employees and family members
  • H-1B Specialty Occupation Visas: please visit our employment immigration page
  • I-1 Journalist/Media Visas are available to members of the foreign press or the media seeking to enter the U.S. for non-commercial purposes
  • J-1 and Q-1 Exchange Visitor Visas: please visit our employment immigration page
  • M-1 Vocational Student Visas are available to individuals seeking to study at post-secondary vocational/business schools
  • N Visas are available to parents and children of certain G visa holders and NATO employees accorded special immigrant status under 8 U.S.C. § 101(a)(27)(I) or (L).
  • R-1 Visas are available to certain religious workers, please visit our employment immigration page
  • S Visas are available to individuals who helped a U.S. or state criminal investigation or prosecution
  • T Visas are available to people who have been subjected to severe trafficking in people (such as being subjected to force, fraud, or coercion for sex trafficking, involuntary servitude, slavery, debt bondage, etc.).
  • TN Status: please visit out employment immigration page
  • U Visa: A person who has suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of certain crimes may obtain a U visa.

© 2014 HenterLaw PLC. Charles Henter is the responsible attorney for this website.

415 Park Street, Second Floor
Charlottesville, VA 22902
(434) 817-1840
Contact Us